Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Words That Bug Me – Carbon Footprint

This one I am going to be kicked for by the environmentalists…but give me a break on this phrase. Carbon Footprint.  If this is not the most ridiculous phrase I have ever heard, I don’t know what is.

I am already prepared for the rotten tomatoes, the boo’s, the rants…whatever you want to throw at me for hating this phrase LOL.

Ok, so going on Wikipedia for the “official” definition of this term first…

“A carbon footprint is ‘the total set of greenhouse gas (GHG) emmisions caused directly and indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product’. for simplicity of reporting, it is often expressed in terms of the amount of carbon dioxide, or its equivalent of other GHGs, emitted. The concept and name of the carbon footprint originates from the ecological footprint discussion. The carbon footprint is a subset of the ecological footprint.”

Now, before I continue any further, I am all for saving the Earth. I do what I can. I conserve, I recycle. Hell, I live on a mountain, very rarely leaving it except to get my water from the city well and going to doctor appointments and the grocery store. I believe in the Greenhouse Effect, I believe that we are in a climate change…in fact, if I listed what I really did believe was in store with the climate and the world and us, I would probably be locked up with the tied-dyed hug-me jacket that I have always wanted LOL.

But, when it comes to the carbon footprint. This I laugh at.

Why? Not because of the carbon footprint…but because of the outcry of it, because of the fuss of it.

now think of it people. everyone and everything leaves a carbon footprint. everything not just large corporations. not just humans. it does not even have to be living to leave a “carbon footprint” *said in loud booming voice*

Hell, it does not even have to be made of carbon to leave a footprint, because it will interact with the things that are made of carbon, thus changing their composition, thus leaving the footprint.

So, see why I think that making a fuss over it is overrated? just because suddenly it is in the public eye, just because suddenly it is “now”, does not make it any more or less important, does not mean we have to suddenly start spouting “oh my! My carbon footprint is so-oo-oo huge!” *said in a valley-girl voice*

It has been there since Earth was created. It will still be here long after human’s are gone. do you really think human’s are making that big of a difference with it? The Earth goes in shift’s and changes, even when the human’s are not here. It still goes in it’s cycles of climate changes, it still goes in it’s cycles of chaos. Yes, we don’t help matters, and yes, we can help matters…but in the long scheme of things? we are insignificant. Earth will fix herself just as she has done when we weren’t here and just as she will do when we aren’t here.

Carbon footprints…*laughs* Come on. Let’s focus on something that we can work with. not something that we really can’t change. We can’t eliminate the plants….they are needed, even though they put out their own carbon footprints. We can’t eliminate animals, though they are a large contributor to carbon footprints as well. Ok, let’s destroy all of the corporations. where will we get things to survive with all of the people on Earth now? it’s not like it was centuries ago when Earth was not that populated. Oh! I know! Let’s get rid of the people! That will work…oh wait, no it won’t, cause there will still be the plants and the animals. drat. so what to do? guess we will have to learn to live with carbon footprints, won’t we?

See? how silly is it? Do away with the phrase. Learn to live with it, quit focusing on it and focus on something that we can really change and affect. We might all be happier one day.

 

**disclaimer: writer I am, writer I will always be. But spelling I never claimed to own. There will always be spelling errors, even with the aid of spell checkers. Unless I employ 20 proof-readers, and if I do that, you will never get to see these blogs…so, guess you will have to put up with the spelling errors….or do what I do. Blame it on the Typo-Fae and say the spelling errors occurred en-route ;-)**

Search This Blog