Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Moon

Like most people, I am fascinated by the moon. Not just the mysticism, however, but also the science. I love all of the myths and legends, but I also love the how’s and why's. I guess that is the Gemini/Cancer in me...the science to satisfy the Gemini and the mysticism to satisfy the Cancer. *laugh*

One fact that has always intrigued me since I learned of it is how the moon is slowly leaving us. About 1" a year (give or take *laugh*). And (albeit thousands of years from now) eventually we will no longer have a moon.

o me, that brings speculative questions such as "WHEN THE MOON IS GONE,WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO EARTH? WILL THERE BE AN EARTH THAT FAR INTO THE FUTURE? WILL MAN STILL BE AROUND?"

I fully believe the was a time before the moon...and man was around for it…though that is in high debate for most. So I believe that if earth and man are still around for when man finally leaves us, we will be fine.

However, something occurred during the last full moon that put another thought in my head over this...and that thought is of other moons.

I know theoretically that other planets have moons, but I never gave them much thought, always concentrating on the larger parent planets, rather than their moons. Then I flew through space (in a dream, of course! *laugh*) and I realized just how many moons there are...and the possibility that another moon may eventually be caught in our gravitational pull...after, or even during the time of our current moon. Just imagine if one day we had 2 (or more) moons!

It really opened the thought process to me.

Also, "seeing" all those moons attached to thousands of other planets gave me pause on this as well...yes,earth is unique...but not as unique as we would like to believe. I believe in life on other planets (a different topic however), and if our moon is one of the things driving our planet with life...so must other planets be driven. Maybe not life as we see it, but life nonetheless. *wink* I love our moon *smile*

Search This Blog