Saturday, October 10, 2009

A new pump!

So, it has finally happened. After all of this time, I finally have my new pump!

Well, I have had the new pump, sitting in my cupboard, so, let me change that statement a little bit.

I am finally wearing my new pump!

So, I went to Salt Lake to get trained on it yesterday. a 2 hour trip. Normally I wouldn’t go, especially since my doctor doesn’t want me traveling. But, I wanted to be on that pump dammit LOL.

Dad had a doctor appointment and if I didn’t meet the Jody (I hope I have her name spelled right, I forgot to get her business card…oops) I would have had to wait longer. So, I went.

Normally, a trip to Salt Lake would mean that that day, and the next, my blood sugars would be sky high and soaring. In fact, that is how they started out.

But, by the time I got home, and keep in mind, this is also after a big mac and fries….the only time I get one is when I go to salt lake…my blood sugars were in the mid-100’s. that in itself is a miracle.

So, the new pump is on the exact same settings as the old pump. We changed nothing. I changed nothing of my routine other than going on the new pump.

This morning, I woke early with my blood sugars dropping low. and I don’t mean just into the low 100s…I mean low. low 70’s, which is low for anybody. That astounded me. I have not been that low for….you know, I don’t remember when I was that low. I don’t remember when I was lower than 100. it has been so long ago.

And I changed nothing. That is what gets me.

I feel like running around to all of the medical doctors and nurses that have been telling me for the last year…actually longer…that the pump was working, it was me. it was not me. I did nothing different. and in a situation where the past has proven that would take me high, with the new pump, under the exact same conditions, it took me low. HA!

Tell me I didn’t need this pump. Tell me my old pump was working. I didn’t believe them then and I won’t believe them now.

Does that make me a bad patience? Oh hell yeah. There is nothing worse than a patient that refuses to believe a doctor when that doctor “knows what’s best for that patient.”

But, my argument for that? “Who knows the patient’s body better? the doctor or the patient?” the doctor doesn’t know how I am feeling? the doctor doesn’t know how I am honestly reacting to something. only I do. So, hell yeah, I am a bad patient, and I will continue to be one, as long as the doctor tries to work above me. when the doctor will work with me, then I will be a good patient.

That’s why I like my current doctor, he is trying to work with me, and so, I am trying to work with him. So far, so good. **knock on wood.*

We will see what he says when I report yesterdays and today’s news to him. LOL

Search This Blog