Sunday, November 15, 2009

“Choose Your Own Adventure” books

Do you remember the “Choose Your Own Adventure” books? Oh I do. I loved those books. My favorite was The Magic of the Unicorn by Deborah Lerme Goodman. I devoured that one every chance I got…and still occasionally read it. I am amazed I still have it, and that it is still in good condition with how much I did read it.

I always have had aspirations to write my own “Choose your own adventure,” and at one point my brothers and I attempted to do so…but either it is harder than we thought, or we were going about it completely wrong…because we gave up the idea quickly. I am betting we went about it wrong.

In fact, now that I am awake and writing this blog, I am positive we did it wrong. ROFLMOA

Okay, the process we attempted to write it in when we were children…

1) write a page
2) put a random page number at the bottom of the page
3) continue the story on that random page number
4) put a different random page number
5) continue the story on that next random page
6) and so on and so forth

you get the idea. by the time we were about ten pages in, we were so confused.

now that I am awake, and coherent, and thinking back to then and thinking about the books now, knowing more about the publishing process…not that I am an expert by any means…

I am betting it is more coherent…it is more you write the story, write an alternate endings, then jumble the pages. LOL. Of course, I may be slightly wrong still…but I bet the second way is more accurate than how we attempted it as children!

but thinking about the “Choose Your Own Adventure!” books, I bet they are a complete blast on the eReaders…they are fun in the paper version…being able to flip between the pages to get to where you need to go…forwards and backwards. But with the eReaders, they would be a virtual haven for these type of books. I would not be surprised to see them make a big comeback. I would love it. they are so fun to read.

I know I would get a new copy of The Magic of the Unicorn to go on the eReader—when I eventually get one—though I would still retain my paperback version.

Search This Blog