Thursday, November 19, 2009

Spiders and writing

Spiders, spiders…they are everywhere!

for those long-time readers, you know I have a muse, much like every artist, but my muse takes the form of a jumbo-jet sized spider named Galock. And when I haven’t written anything…or when the urge to write is particularly strong…he sends out the forces. Sometimes they are invisible…only appearing in my mind. I will see flashes of them here, or there, but they are not really there at all.

But then other times he will send in the real thing. He will start out with the typical spiders. your normal, non-threatening house spiders. I will start seeing them everywhere. But if I ignore them, he starts sending in the bigger troops. the Sun Spiders…they look like scorpions, but do not have the tail and are non-venomous. And yet, if I still ignore them/him…he sends in the true scorpions.

However, last night he did something that he has never done before….

Here I am, sitting on my bed. I am writing, so it is not as if I am ignoring my craft. In fact, I am writing longhand. something I haven’t done since I was 13…19 years ago. Yes, I am telling. I never understood the rule of a woman never telling their age LOL. Anyway, I am writing longhand. Listening to Christmas music. I started out with pop, then country, then hard rock, then metal…but it was Christmas I needed. But then, in comes mom with a box of chocolates and to love my dog and cat goodnight.

As she was loving them, I look over and I see something on my knee. something that was not there earlier…a ink scribble. What in the hell? How did that get there. I had no ball-point pen on the bed. The only writing instruments I had there was a mechanical pencil, a red felt-tip pen and my fountain pen. And when the fountain pen was not in my hand on the paper, it was capped. There was no way it could have touched my knee….especially to put this particular pattern on my knee.

What pattern is that?

It is a spider.

Yes, you read that right. The scribble is that of an abstract spider. It has the fat body, and it is not round, it is oblong. and each side has four legs, but the legs are all joined, not like the “pen” was not lifted and was not drawn straight back to the body…so the legs were drawn more like V shapes for each one, except the first and last ones on each side.

Now, I did not draw this on myself. Nor did my parents, nor my grandmother. It just appeared. I have no clue at all where this came from. It is so weird.

And what is even funnier, is that every time my cat saw it, she kept pawing at it, trying to knock it off, as if it were a spider on me. In fact, she kept coming back to it, like “Mom! get it off you!”

This is the first time Galock has ever inked me with a brand. I didn’t know I needed it. It is not like I have been ignoring my craft…in fact, lately, I have been writing more than I ever have… *snicker*

Search This Blog