Wednesday, November 25, 2009

TTTo - Black Friday

In honor of America's Thanksgiving, I give you today's Tiresome Term Tip-off topic, Black Friday.

Black Friday. What does it bring to mind…something morbid. Something depressing. Something…wrong. At least it does to me. When I first heard the phrase years ago, I thought that it was honoring something catastrophic from our history. You wouldn't believe my shock when I learned that it was supposed to be something positive instead. The day after Thanksgiving when the stores throw the biggest sales of the year to put themselves in the "black" and out of the "red." When they get themselves out of debt…hopefully.

When I first heard that, I was astounded. They had a term for it? They named a day after it? What happened to the good old-fashioned term, "Day-after Thanksgiving Sales"? What happened to the feel-good values? When did it turn from having fun to "Let's get the bottom dollar!" it is still mayhem. It is still chaos. Why did they have to change the terminology? It changed the feel of the day…for me at least. Because, for me, Black Friday has the feel of something depressing.

Black, to me, is not anything depressing. I love the color. But, usually when it is termed with a day like this, it is not in a good way. I never did understand the whole "black" and "red" concept of keeping books either…but that is neither here nor there. I am not a mathematical person. Using it as much as I do with my diabetes is way too much LOL.

If we have to move away from the "Day after Thanksgiving Sales" at least come up with something more positive…something friendlier…than "Black Friday."

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Every time I hear it in the news, I expect to hear a tragic story with it…and, honestly, anymore there usually is a tragic story with it…people getting killed in the mad rush of the crowds, children getting lost, robberies, etc. It is no wonder that I associate Black Friday with negativity. Media…Companies…come up with something else. Think positive. Think. Use your brains. There are better terms out there. You just have to find them. You do know how to think, don't you? Sometimes I wonder anymore.

Can you tell I am just the slightest bit disgusted? :P

And on that note…have a Happy Thanksgiving, and try to survive the *grimace* Black Friday ;)

 

**None of these topics are meant to be aimed at anyone in particular. Some of them may touch a nerve, and I am sorry if they do, but these are my views. I am even guilty of using some of these and am trying to improve myself in regards to them. Besides, if we can’t laugh at some of the words/phrases we use, then this world is indeed too sad a place to be.**

 

**disclaimer: writer I am, writer I will always be. But spelling I never claimed to own. There will always be spelling errors, even with the aid of spell checkers. Unless I employ 20 proof-readers, and if I do that, you will never get to see these blogs…so, guess you will have to put up with the spelling errors….or do what I do. Blame it on the Typo-Fae and say the spelling errors occurred en-route ;-)**

Search This Blog