Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Teaching Myself Greek

Yes, you read that title right.

I am teaching myself to read, write and speak Greek.

When I was in Junior High, I took German. I flunked it with flying colors. Same with French. And again with Spanish in High School.

I don’t know if it was taking language courses in school, the teachers/books, or the fact that I was out of school 8 out of 10 days because of my health…or a combination of the three…( I was a fantastic student otherwise…aced most of my other classes for the most part)…But I did convince myself that I had no head (or ear nor tongue) for languages.

But my desire to learn Greek and Irish has grown significantly over the past few years until I finally broke down.

So far, so good. Granted, I am in the early stages with it…I have mostly just read and translated…I haven’t done much speaking…but, still, not too bad.

I will be starting Irish in the not too distant future.

I am actually having quite a bit of fun with it…the Greek that is. I have always loved learning.

Maybe, eventually, I will overcome my fear of poetry from horrible emotional scarring caused by an cruelly insensitive English teacher when I was 13…

Search This Blog