Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Pioneer Day Utah!

Every 24th of July, fireworks explode into the sky, separate from the national day of celebration that lights up the sky everywhere.

Pioneer Day, or the 24th of July as most people refer to it…or as it was known very early on as the: Day of Deliverance…marks the day that The Mormon Pioneers Came into Utah, specifically the Salt Lake Valley, as “this is the place”. The place that they wanted to settle after their long journey from Nauvoo, Illinois.

All week has been full of activities celebrating this holiday, with parades, rodeos and other festivities, culminating in the Day’s of ‘47 parade.

I know that my family has very rich ties to the original pioneers that came to Utah. One of my grandfathers…many times great, was one of Joseph Smith’s personal bodyguards (and oh do we have stories that would turn heads hehe)…and one of my several time great grandpa first settled Saint George and established the first church there. (which also has many stories that would turn many more heads) Also one of my many time great uncles carved the original Utah Beehive and the Eagle for “Eagle Gate” among other creations for the state.

I may not be Mormon anymore. For my own reasons. But I do have a rich history in the state as well as the church.

So, thanks to all of the pioneers of progress that occurred back then, and that are still occurring every day.

Search This Blog