Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Words That Bug Me…Text Talk

Ok…now I know that Text Talk is not a word…nor a phrase. but it still bugs me. LOL ;)

Text talk has its place. I don’t deny using it myself…sparingly. I use very few things that are text talk. Frankly, I can only understand a few of the phrases. I have had to locate a website that has a of the text talk lists just to see what is said…and frankly…how can you know what is said when a lot of them stands for at least two different things, if not 3 or 4, or more?

Like I said, text talk has its place. Using it in chat rooms is understandable…confusing for people like me, but understandable (which is why I avoid chat rooms ;)

Using it in texts on phones is completely understandable. especially for those that have limited texts or pay for theirs…

but where I draw the line is when it is used in talk, or god forbid, books.

using text talk when you are speaking. O.M.G. (yes, I had to do it). Come on now. I know that people are inherently lazy now. Yes, I know I am insulting people. GET OVER YOURSELVES. get an education. get some class, for gods sake. do you realize how low class it makes you sound 99% of the time when you talk like you are in a chat room?

I know we as a society have reached an all-time low when I read text talk in books. yes, books. I have a favorite series. I am not naming the series, or the author. I have too much respect for her for that., and I doubt very much I have the same readers, or that she reads my blogs LOL. But, when I read text talk as everyday talk in her books, that lowered the quality for me. The stories are fantastic. I absolutely adore the characters, I would love to hang with them and kick some butt with them…but, I would have to break the characters of talking in text talk.

For the most part, my only text talk is LOL or ROFL. I add others here or there, but not many, and not often. And, yes, occasionally, when I am alone and I think something is funny I will think LOL. But I have never been tempted to say it out loud. I have too much respect for my learning to do that.

I was telling my mom the other day that I would have loved to go to school in today’s age with all of the electronics available….but at the same time, I don’t think I would know what I know now if I did. So I am thankful I had to learn everything the hard way…and honestly…I even think I had it too easy in the 80’s and 90’s when I was in school and would have loved to learn in an even earlier time period…of course, I would not have wanted some of the rules and the dress codes…hehe

But, for the most part, with exceptions, yes…add Text Talk to what bugs me. ;)

Search This Blog