Thursday, October 29, 2009

Health care and accountability

This irks me. you hear on the TV all of these lawyer commercials for lawsuits for “medical malpractice” and while some of them are valid, and some *should* be pursued, the majority of them are such a load of BS that it just pisses me off.

It is no wonder that it is so expensive to go to the doctor or hospital. it is no wonder it is so expensive to take prescriptions. it is no wonder insurance is so outrageous. They have to recoup their money somehow.

Yet, people still go after the health care system for things that are stupid. blaming the companies or professionals for things that are inconsequential or that should never be be sued about.

The legal system should never have opened the door for these type of lawsuits. and they should never have let these same lawsuits have their settlements be raised from thousands of dollars into the millions.

As someone who has to go to the doctor a lot, it affects me more than those that only have to go once or twice a year, or less. as someone who sees the inside of a hospital at least once a year, it affects me outrageously. as someone who is in the poverty level income and has to rely on family to survive, it affects me to an even greater capacity.

The more that people sue the medical establishment, the more the medical costs go up. it is a cause and effect. yes, there are cases that *should* be pursued, that have damaged lives greatly…but the majority of the cases out there have damaged more lives as a *result* of the actual lawsuits than the reason *for* the result in the first place.

People take no accountability for their own actions anymore.

Case in point, specifically, case in point is the prescription drugs. these are the ones that irk me the greatest. *shakes head*

Scenario: I see a commercial for a specific drug on the TV (which should never have been allowed either), I convince myself I need that drug. I talk to my doctor. I persist and even though the doctor doesn’t agree (or if the doctor is a bad doctor and doesn’t care) he prescribes it anyway. we talk about the side effects…and also the commercial lists the side effects. I start taking it. I develop problems from the drug…or even die. LAWSUIT! ok, I can see a lawsuit from the death. but the problem…hello. ok, first. accountability. I chose to take the drug. I talked the doctor into giving it to me. the doctor told me about the side effects, the possible risks. they were fully disclosed. I can see a lawsuit if the side effects were not disclosed…but where the side effects were fully disclosed, there should not be a case. period.

Yet you see it all the time. you see it advertised on TV all the time about drugs that were advertised, fully disclosing their side effects, prescribed, then suddenly a mass explosion of law firms are launching law suits against the doctors and manufacturers of the drug. in my book, this is absolutely wrong. the manufacturers and the doctors gave full warning of what the side effects are. the patient, the user, should take accountability for their own actions.

ok, new scenario. surgery. the doctor leaves a surgical instrument in you. ok, now that needs a lawsuit. LOL. or you get dropped on your head while being transferred from the table…that needs a lawsuit. but the room gets too cold and you develop a fever. that is ridiculous. how is the doctor supposed to know? I would rather have the *doctor* be comfortable than me…LOL think about it this way…the OR is set to a comfortable temperature for *me*, not the doctor. I am knocked out, but the room is too hot for the doctor, especially adding those focused lights…which put off *a lot* of heat by the way…and the doctor passes out (which could and has happened)…hmmm no contest. I wouldn’t want my doctor passing out on me during the middle of a surgery…especially if it is a major surgery.

Accountability for our actions. lawsuits are there for when there is need, not for us to abuse the system. it makes it harder for everyone else to a) afford to get insured, go to the doctor/hospital and our medications and b) it can actually make it harder for us to get insured, period.

We need to close the door on these petty and small cases and go back to where we can only sure for major medical malpractice. it has gotten out of hand.

 

 

**None of these topics are meant to be aimed at anyone in particular. Some of them may touch a nerve, and I am sorry if they do, but these are my views. I am even guilty of using some of these and am trying to improve myself in regards to them. Besides, if we can’t laugh at some of the words/phrases we use, then this world is indeed too sad a place to be.**

 

**disclaimer: writer I am, writer I will always be. But spelling I never claimed to own. There will always be spelling errors, even with the aid of spell checkers. Unless I employ 20 proof-readers, and if I do that, you will never get to see these blogs…so, guess you will have to put up with the spelling errors….or do what I do. Blame it on the Typo-Fae and say the spelling errors occurred en-route ;-)**

Search This Blog