Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…The Fog #11

I followed the fog through a door in the back behind the altar. I expected to go into the priest's office, but we didn't. Sure, there was a door leading into what I assumed would be his office, but there were two other doors as well. Both hanging open. One led up to what I assumed would lead to the spire and subsequently, the bell. The other leading down. There must be a cellar down there. That is where the fog went.

It is strange to follow a fog. Especially to follow a fog that goes to specific locations and doesn't spread itself everywhere.

I laughed as the fog pushed itself against the wall in an attempt to avoid touching me. I never thought to encounter a neurotic fog before.

Down we went. Further than I thought we would go.

Down and down. The steps did not lead straight down, no, they twisted upon themselves at various spots, and they were steep.

The deeper they went, the darker and more oppressive it got. I would have expected to feel a spider web against my face or arms...but there were none. Further indication that this building alone was still used. For what purpose still remained to be seen. I could no longer see the fog. But I could still hear it. It is very strange to hear woodland creatures right next to me. If it were not for the fact of the steps beneath my feet and the railing I desperately clutched as I descended, I would have thought I was in the forest.

Without warning, the ground evened out beneath me. It did so with such abruptness that I stumbled. If I had not had hold of the railing, I think I would have landed on the ground...probably on my face. As it, I swung around into the said railing with such force I was winded.

Stumbling back, clutching my stomach, I gasp, trying to get my breath back. The fog sounded angrier than ever, yet I don't recall touching it yet. One of these times I *will* touch it. I silently vow as I wheeze.

Looking around, at first I don't see anything. But then, a faint...something. A cackle. Wait. A cackle? Yup. This place has definitely gotten to me. Who cackles in this day and age? And is that candle light?

There *is* someone here!

 

(to be continued…)

(now we are re-caught back up, I will continue the story…;))

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog