Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…the Fog #14

The...person...and I stared at each other in shock. I don't know what he thought of me, but I sure was not expecting...him.

He was human, that was evident. And he was a survivor. I guess the authorities did *not* clear them all out. He was young. Perhaps in his early twenties, and completely covered in bite marks. Some are old, the white scar tissue barely discernable. But some so fresh they still bled. Obviously, he has lost his mind.

"Prescioussssss. What isssss he?"

"Your mother read you a little too much Hobbit before you went insane?" I asked casually. Not really expecting an answer.

He hissed at me, showing his blood and gore speckled teeth. His teeth so thick with it, they were blackened. The saliva dribbled pink down his chin.

"So," I said, walking closer to him...though no *too* close. I'm not stupid enough to get in grabbing or biting range. "You have been here for fifteen years. You were just a child when it all happened. What *did* happen. Can you tell me?"

More hissing. He turned as I walked past him, but not much else.

I could feel my stomach clenching. But not from fear. I was actually getting a little hungry. Stupid to think of food at a time like this. But I haven't eaten for so long, all I took time for earlier was one of those bottles of water...and it didn't taste too bad. A little stale.

I pushed the hunger aside.

"I thought the injuries were self-inflicted. Did you know, they thought it was vampires or werewolves that killed your town?"

The man started babbling, but I didn't understand a single word he said, so I continued walking around. There were a few bits and pieces from around the town. Mostly, I saw skeletons from forest creatures. I really wondered at that "fog." But that is something to worry about in a bit. This boy-man was the problem right now. I cast a look at him, but he had gone back to dancing around and babbling at the fog. Since he was ignoring me, I continued looking around. I came upon a stash of photos. I bent to pick one up.

And that was my mistake.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog