Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…the Fog#4

...later...

Finally, I reach the village. And it is not much to look at. I don't think it would have been much to look at, even if there had been people here.

It is small. And I don't mean "Oh, look how small town cute it is!" I mean it is *small* One main street. One intersecting street and perhaps two or three small side streets. I was lucky to have seen this from the tree top. How it even made it on the map is anyone's guess. What made people want to live here in the first place?

The buildings are even small. I won't go into how run-down they are. That is to be expected; after all, as far as I know, no one has even driven through this town in fifteen years, let alone lived here.

Walking over to peer into a broken window, I see this building is supposed to be the store. You could have fooled me. There wasn't even a sign proclaiming it as such. Though, I guess with a town this small, there needn't be one.

Huh. Ummm, wait a second. I literally scratch my head with this puzzler. There were only a dozen survivors at the most. There couldn't have been many more living here. Where is my briefcase? Shit, Damn Sam! I forgot the stupid thing in the car. Great. Now I don't have *any* of my notes. This is just perfect.

Yeah, this is one fan-freakin-tasting assignment. I won the lottery with this one.

Regardless, I better find a place to crash...somewhere where it isn't *too* bad, *too* derelict. Cause, it is getting dark...true dark. My true assignment is just getting started.

I look around. I doubt there is much use to hope for a hotel. I snort an abrupt laugh. What am I thinking? A hotel? What, do I expect all the amenities to go with that hotel? Yeah, I am completely on my own here. Finding a bed will be good enough. It's bad enough I don't even have any of my supplies.

Thinking of that, I realize I don't even have any of my food or drink. Great. Maybe there is some canned goods that haven't spoiled somewhere here. If whatever killed most of the people here doesn't kill me, food poisoning will...or starvation!

Turning away from the store, thinking to come back *after* I find a place to sleep, I look at the town. The side streets will probably be the best bet for a private home. Which would probably be the most comfortable...more laughter at that thought.

I quickly walk toward the nearest street and turn down it, a stop. More trees. Of course. They have taken over the town. It is surprising they haven't taken over the main street yet. I move toward then and push my way through the underbrush to the first house. The roof *looks* sound let's see about the inside.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog