Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…The Fog #8

Hearing a noise, I turn toward the door, the front door, that is. Though, there is nothing there. The door is still closed tight. But the noise. The noise is getting louder. It is the incessant sound of the woodland creatures. Am I going insane in this lonely deserted town with its nightmarish history?

It is a possibility.

For a surely as I am kneeling on this dusty vinyl flooring, I am hearing something that is not there. I can hear the chattering of squirrels, the squawking of birds. Even the hissing of some sort of forest cat. Yet...I see nothing. Then, the first tendrils of fog forming together. But not in the typical tendrils of fog...however bloody-looking this fog is, no, this fog is forming into the shape of the animals. Squirrels, birds, a bobcat...I slam the door shut before I can see any further.

I shove the towels under the door, knowing it is probably futile. I run to the window. Outside I see the fog-shapes of deer and bear. I break the glass and regardless of the shards, I shove my body through. I can outrun the fog in its tendril form...but in its animal form...I don't know, but I have to try. Some of the people got away...but they may have been let go.

I ran.

Then I stopped. I didn't get far; I wasn't even out of the town. The fog was hanging around the house I had left, completely surrounding it, but it was slowly leaving it. Drifting this way and that, as if searching.

Where was *I* going though. I don't know the area. I don't know how far the fog extends. I don't have any supplies. According to the map, there are not any other towns for hundreds of miles. It was a miracle the people got away did manage to get away. This is ridiculous running.

Besides, the medical reports on the bodies found showed *human* teeth on the bodies. *self*-inflicted wounds. Not even wounds caused by others, but by their owners. Some of the bodies were drained of blood. But there was enough blood around that it is possible they had wandered around until they drained themselves. There is *nothing* suggesting that anything supernatural did it.

But what is with the fog...it *has* to be a hallucination. It *has* to be. Which means...it is harmless.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog