Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…the Fog #12

Still clutching my stomach, I slowly make my way toward that faint light. I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know if they knew if I was here. I didn't even know if there was more than one of them. I suspected it was only one. All I could hear was one cackle...well, one *person* cackle. I heard many cackles.

The closer I got, the brighter the light became. I could see that there was another room. And that there must have been several candles...the light was flickering too crazily for a single wick. As I got closer,

I saw the shadow on the wall.

I stopped. The fog next to me did *not.* it continued its way into the room.

"Preciousssssssss! My Preciousssssss."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. It was too Gollum-eque. Straight from The Hobbit. Couldn't this person have thought of something other that *that* to call this fog?

Regardless, my laugh had caught this person's attention. It was hissing. Yes, hissing.

So, first we have Gollum, now we have a snack, huh? Am I to expect a snack goblin to come erupting out of the room? Shaking my head I continued on to the room. Guess my reason for secrecy is over.

"I know you know I am here." I call out.

No response except the increase of the hissing. Still, I walk toward the opening. I could detect no movement from the person. I won't even say man, because I don't know. The voice *was* deep, but it was hard to tell if it was a male or a female voice.

In the light reflected on the wall, I could see the faintness of the fog shifting. Strange how out in the open it had seemed so large, even upstairs it had seemed so. But down here, it seemed much smaller. It is as if it can compact itself.

"Who are you?" I try again.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog