Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…the Fog #17

So, it *is* the water. I thought as I stare at fascination at both my skin and the blood running on my skin. I wonder if I would have torn at myself first if he hadn't had attacked me.

He started that maniacal cackle again.

"Welcome." He cackled "Welcome."

I growled at him, and he stopped cackling only long enough to briefly growl back.

Then the fog. The fog moved. I saw it clearly. It was beautiful. Yes, it was tinged red like I had first seen it, but there were so many other colors in it. And the animals it had formed? Even when it was formless, they were still there, deep in it. There. Always there. It came at me. Chittering and chattering. The squirrels gamboling and playing, running over my feet. The birds landing on my arms. There were no larger animals in this portion of the fog. They couldn't fit down here, but the smaller animals, oh yes. I could see them. They are beautiful. And now they didn't hesitate to touch me, though, I don't feel a thing.

Is it of my mind? I don't know anymore. A bird *landed* on my hand, drawing my attention to it. I lifted my hand slightly and the bird flew off. I didn't feel a thing, but I wasn't paying attention to the bird either.

It was my hand I cared about. Always my hand.

I lifted it. The light shining off it was...odd. not beautiful. Not like the fog. It was hideous. I wanted it off me. I tried scraping it with my other hand.

Ewww. It was there too. No! All over me! Where is the beautiful fog? Maybe it can cover this hideousness.

The fog. Yes. The fog. I look around. It is around me, but it is not covering it. I have to get it off me!

Maybe I can chew it off. Yes! I can try that.

I lift my hand to my mouth and bite. I bite as hard as I can, trying to chew the flesh off. The pain doesn't matter. I need to get that flesh off.

Then a flash of sanity.

I jerk my hand out of my mouth and spit the blood out.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog