Saturday, October 31, 2009

What Hides in…the Fog #7

Running into the nearest house, I looked around for the best location to hide. At first I thought of the closet. And in fact, I did head in the direction, but if it came to fighting (though what I might have to fight, I had no clue), there wouldn't be any room. Though, I did look in there for any possible weapons. And luck be mine, there was a baseball bat. *somebody* was looking after me, after all...or was prolonging my death for their amusement.

Thinking about where to hide, I tried not to think about what might be out there. If anything. Wouldn't it be the biggest cosmic joke if I was doing this over nothing?

Looking around the house, I saw the perfect room. The bathroom. Big enough I could maneuver around in, it had a window that was (barely) big enough I could escape out of if I had to, but small enough that I could defend it and the door. I could shove towels around both to *try* to keep the fog out, yet I could keep them open to watch for the attack...if it comes. And the bathroom door might actually lock, though I won't count on it being a *good* lock.

Going back to the front door, I saw the fog had actually made significant progress toward the house. And strange enough, it looked like it was actually *aiming* for the house. Huh. A fog with intelligence? Yeah right. More like, there is a breeze blowing it in my direction...though...I can't *feel* a breeze.

Even stranger is I can still *hear* the creatures...the squirrels and the birds. At least I assume it is just squirrels. How the hell do I know? I have never seen them before. But that is the point, I still can't see them. I can hear them, but I can't see them, yet they sound like they are close. Maybe they are hidden in the fog. Maybe the fog brought them. I don't know, but it is getting creepier by the second.

Shutting the door, making it into another barrier. However feeble it is with its broken lock, I head for the bathroom. Leaving the bathroom door open I sit on the counter that is next to it.

While I wait, I stare around at the room. Except for the dust, it is fairly clean. There are the suspicious dark spots here as well. I don't dare look in the toilet. Luckily, I haven't had to go. Yet. I don't even want to entertain *that* possibility. I shudder at the mere thought.

Thanks to the dust, I cannot even tell the pattern of the wallpaper or vinyl flooring, let alone the color...but I *think* I can see a hint of flowers. Typical.

The mirror behind me has smears of faded red on it in the shape of a hand. I turn away, not wanting to think of how that got there.

Hopping down off the counter, I look in the cabinet for some towels...forgot to get those, I am going to need them to shove under the door.

 

(to be continued…)

©2009,CherryDumas

Search This Blog